It's finals week. Good thing I only had 2 subjects in my MA course. My first subject didn't require a final exam. She just gave us a tremendous research work and report it in class. That will serve as our final exam. The other subject is "St. Thomas in Critical Thinking" translation: LOGIC. It was one hell of an exam. I just don't know if I did very well. But none the less I've tried and did what I can do. Whew!, its trully a difficult exam. Anyway, Its almost over. I hope I can manage and enroll myself again for the second semester.
Meanwhile while playing with my guitar last night, I stmbled on this U2 record. (Record album photo on the side). Its quiet an intervention, last week I was looking for a DVD to watch and then I stmbled on this two U2 DVD in my collection. One is U2 live in Boston and the other one was U2 the Joshua tree. Well, at that time, I stopped playing and got my walkman and popped in the record. As usual, I was again amazed on their song "With or without you" They did a good job writing that song during the 80's. If you have listened to it, you might think is not meant for the 80's. It sounds more of a music in the 90's.“With Or Without You” became their biggest hit, topping the US charts for three weeks, while The Joshua Tree became one of the fastest-selling albums of all time. The track works on two distinct levels. For millions of fans it’s a straightforward love song best summed up by the lines “I can’t live/ With or without you” – an emotion surely felt at some time by almost anyone who has ever been in a serious relationship. But as singer Bono has admitted, the song also addresses his own insecurities and anxieties. The lines “And you give yourself away/ And you give yourself away” represent his fears about being in band, about literally giving himself away when he bares his soul in lyrics and interviews. Musically, the song is something of a slow burner, with The Edge’s understated guitar and Bono’s subdued vocals building gradually towards a towering climax. However you interpret it, it’s an immensely powerful and popular song. I just really admire the way The Edge played his "infinite guitar" on that song.
If you want to hear the song, here it is. Not that in good sound quality but at least you can have an idea on what I'm talking about. Play it below. U2 rocks!!
No comments:
Post a Comment